1 US Marine is dead, and 8 are missing, after an amphibious assault vehicle accident off Southern California

1 US Marine is dead, and 8 are missing, after an amphibious assault vehicle accident off Southern California
A photo showing an assault amphibious vehicle in the water during Exercise Iron Fist 2020. Not related to this story.
A photo showing an assault amphibious vehicle in the water during Exercise Iron Fist 2020. Not related to this story.

U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jessica Paulauskas

  • One US Marine has died and eight service members are missing after an amphibious vehicle accident off Southern California on Thursday.

  • The Marine Expeditionary Force tweeted the news early Friday morning.

  • The accident occurred during a routine training exercise near the island of San Clemente, the US Marine Corps told Business Insider in a statement.

  • The Navy and Coast Guard are leading the search for the missing Marines.

  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A US Marine is dead, and eight service members, are missing after an assault amphibious vehicle (AAV) accident off the coast of Southern California on Thursday.

“1 Marine has died, 8 service members remain missing and 2 were injured after an AAV mishap July 30 off the coast of Southern California,” the Marine Expeditionary Force tweeted Friday.

“All are assigned to the 15th MEU [marine expeditionary unit]. Search and rescue efforts are still underway with support from the Navy and Coast Guard.”

The incident occurred during a routine training exercise in the vicinity of the island of San Clemente, the US Marine Corps told Business Insider in an emailed statement.

Fifteen marines had been onboard the AAV, which reported taking on water at 5:45 p.m. local time, the Marine Corps said.

Of the injured pair, one is in a critical condition and one in stable condition, it added.

The search and rescue operation is extensive, including four helicopters, three US Navy and one from the US coast guard, the USS John Finn, several small boats from the USS Makin Island, USS Somerset, and USS San Diego, as well as a US Coast Guard cutter.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident. I ask that you keep our Marines, Sailors, and their families in your prayers as we continue our search,” Colonel Christopher Bronzi, 15th MEU Commanding Officer, said.

Read the original article on Business Insider

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *